Monday, November 05, 2012

A Week of Goodbyes

Last week was a week of goodbyes.

On Tuesday, a precious friend and writing mentor went home to be with Jesus after a battle with cancer. On the same day, another writer friend passed away after suffering a stroke.

I had a coffee date with a friend, a luncheon, and a potluck, as sendoffs  (we are saying, "See you later") before my youngest son and I made final preparations to move.

Yesterday, I sang with the choir for the last time before heading out of town.

My oldest son decided to stay where his job is instead of moving with us (he is an adult so I knew I needed to give him the freedom to make that choice), so I feel like I left part of my heart behind in Reno, Nevada.

Needless to say, this week has been one long emotional roller coaster ride. But one thing gives me hope--in each case, I say goodbye to someone I will spend eternity with. As I accept the reality that life is full of sadness and change and letting go, I know I will one day be in a place where I can enjoy my brothers and sisters in Christ--whether friends or family--forever, with no sad "See you laters."

Have you had to say goodbye to someone you love lately? How did God help you through it?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

I haven't been dealing with goodbyes this month. But I have been dealing with a few things that are painful in their own way. I am so thankful for the hope we have in God...that we can know one day all of this pain will be redeemed. :)