Two weeks ago, I found myself back home with Mom and Dad. I won't go into all the details, just that the move required a lot of prayer and willingness to leave a comfort zone that has doubled as my support system through a very difficult season.
It felt very strange to unpack my things and realize that I would be sleeping on a bed that had my childhood headboard attached to it, yet Mom, Dad, and my sister Kristy had taken the time to decorate the room in a way that is 100% me, with room for my books, my computer, and my giant magnifying screen.
Between the painful circumstances that brought me here, saying goodbye to so many dear friends, and the struggles of adjusting to being under Mom and Dad's roof again, some might expect me to be extremely discouraged right now. While it isn't easy, I realize that I actually have many reasons to be Thankful. Thanksgiving week seems like an appropriate time to name some of those things. (Since Nathan had to list 10 things that he was thankful for as part of his penmanship homework today, I will also list 10.)
1) I have a loving family to move in with. They begged me to come for months before I actually took them up on it.
2) I love my room!
3) We will be here for the holidays, including many fun events that we usually miss out on.
4) Nathan gets to see his cousins several times a week.
5) Nathan now has the benefit of being influenced by his grandparents on a daily basis.
6) Uncle Brandon is teaching Nathan to play the drums--something he has been dying to learn.
7) After over a year of carrying the load of responsibility, I now have other adults to share it will. (Mom likes to clean and I love to cook, so guess who does what.)
8) We have time to regroup and rest after a difficult year.
9) It doesn't snow here. (Snow is pretty, but it isn't fun to shovel, and I always dread the ice.)
10) Being welcomed here is one more reminder that God is taking care of my family.
What are you thankful for this week? What change or difficulty are you seeing blessings in? I would love to hear about them.