Monday, January 14, 2013

A word for the New Year

Camy here! I got this idea from an author friend of mind--every year, she prays and asks God for a word or a short phrase that is her “theme” for the year. It’s something she works on for the year.

One year, my word was “fear.” It sounds weird, but I wanted to understand what it meant to fear and revere the Lord. During my Bible reading that year, I started highlighting every passage that mentioned the word “fear” in relation to God, and it was really eye-opening to understand what it really means to “fear” the Lord.

This year, my word is “prayer.” I want to work on my prayer life and learn how to pray more often and with more intensity. The first thing I did was get an app. :) I got the “Let’s Pray” app on my iPhone because you set up an account and then it’ll sync your prayer requests across all your devices.

I usually pray with my iPad since I use an iPad Bible app for my Bible reading (Olive Tree, because it lets me write notes as long as I want!), but if I happen to ever not have my iPad with me, I can write the prayer request on my iPhone and it’ll sync across both my phone and tablet.

So, techno-goodies aside, I’m hoping to work on my prayer this year.

How about you? Is there a word or short phrase God has impressed upon your heart to work on this year?

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. Out now is the second book in her new series, A Dangerous Stage. She is a staff worker for her church youth group, and leads one of the worship teams for Sunday service. On her blog, she ponders frivolous things like knitting, running, dogs, and Asiana. Visit her website for free short stories and to sign up for her email newsletter.

2 comments:

Terésa Marie said...

I just posted about this same topic this morning, more or less. My husband and I are using the phrase "rooted in Christ" to help us regain focus and be more purposeful in our faith in 2013. I'm excited about how we have already grown and can't wait to see what this year holds.

I love the idea of exploring fear more thoroughly and it's something I should probably do myself.

Blessings!

Camy Tang said...

That's awesome, Teresa! I think it's great you and your husband are doing that together!