Sunday, March 19, 2006

Orange

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Banana.
Banana who?
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Banana.

Banana who?
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Orange
Orange who?
Oran geh glad I'm not a banana?

Orange's other claim to fame (besides being part of one of the oldest knock-knock jokes) is that there is no word in the English language that rhymes with it.

I'm still mulling over the information I got on a website that gave meanings to colors.
Orange is a warm color. Walls painted orange tinged with brown can make a person hungry, and conversely, reduce tension. Maybe its when you eat chocolate because of the toasty orange wall, your tension expires in a slow comfortable death.
However, as orange moves away from the autumn tinge to the bright circus orange, it can infuse people with energy. Too bright and it leads to anxiety.
I know some orange people. People who have normal skin tones, but exude orange personalities. When they are in a mellow mode, we dine together. I relax and I thank God for the friendship of these wonderful people.
Sometimes, however, these same friends kick up the orange juice running through their veins and start double-pumping life. It's fun to go along for the ride for a little while. But I am not an orange person, and I'm soon tired, trying to keep up. I get anxious about how long I'm expected to run alongside, or what the consequences of so much unbridled activity might be. So I take a break.
And I thank God for the friendship of these wonderful people. I also thank God that neither He nor these friends expect me to have an orange personality.
I appreciate who they are in the rainbow scheme of dispositions and feel free to be where I am in the spectrum.

Thank you, God.

2 comments:

Katie Hart - Pinterest Manager said...

That makes me think of Lillie in Lisa Samson's novel Tiger Lillie. "Orange" is her favorite word to describe people.

Donita K. Paul said...

I haven't read that book yet. Now I am curious and will have to get a copy from the library.