Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cultivate

Yesterday, I drove up to Tennesse to visit my new nephew, John. He was born about two weeks ago....so cute! While I was home, I helped my mother water her plants and it got me thinking. I feel like our relationship with mothers takes work like a garden takes work. To make a garden grow, you have to give it attention. You have to water it daily and make sure that you give it sunlight. Every plant is different. Some flowers love the sun while others love the shade. All of them need attention.

A few years ago, my mom got an orchid. Orchids are tricky. The blooms are really fragile. The blooms on her orchid fell off shortly after she brought it home. I would have thrown the plant away. It seemed useless at that point, but she kept giving it attention. She set it in a window for sun and kept it watered. One year went by and nothing. Year two went by and nothing, yet she still kept cultivating. The orchid finally bloomed 3 years later. She didn't give up and it was worth it! That is just like our relationships with our moms. Sometimes it seems like nothing is in bloom. Keep watching it. Keep giving it attention. Keep cultivating. In the end, it will be worth the fight.

I know your relationship with your mom can be frustrating during your teenage years, but keep cultivating. It may take time, but it's worth it.

Sarah Bragg

No comments: