Friday, September 07, 2007

Top 5 Reasons September Makes Me Happy



This week I've been working on the revisions to The Fruit of My Lipstick, which will be out next August. One of the things I had to work on was a character's list of the Top 5 Ways to Know He's the One. Since then, Top 5 lists on all kinds of subjects have been wandering through my head, so I thought I'd post one of them here.

Top 5 Reasons September Makes Me Happy

(1) I'm going to Germany and Austria with my family in two weeks. How fun is that? My hubby and I, my mom and dad, and my 16-year-old niece and 13-year-old nephew. We're going to shop and eat Sachertorte and see castles and meet interesting people and learn how to say "Sagen Sie wo is der Autobus?" with the proper accent! Oh, and polka! Did I mention we're going on a concert tour with a polka band? My niece, who is a hip-hop and ballet dancer, was informed by her mom that she was going to have to learn the polka. She looked down her nose and said, "Mom. I'm a dancer. How hard can it be?" Ask Uncle Jeff, sweetie.

(2) Fire season in California is nearly over. It officially ends on Hallowe'en, so I can see a nice, cool November coming, dumping rain all over these thirsty hills.


(3) I can see fall coming, a little ahead of November. I love fall. I love the way the air smells and all the maple leaves whirling down. I love how it makes my chickens moult so that there are feathers from one end of the yard to the other. I love lighting a fire in the stove and starting a new book. I love harvest and vegetables and trying out new recipes. I love getting the course catalogue from the local University Extension and seeing what I could learn. Ooh, look--Drawing Birds. Creating Characters. The Art of the Chick Flick. I'll never be able to decide!

(4) My friend Camy Tang's first book, Sushi for One?, just came out--totally a reason to celebrate September.

(5) Best of all, September is a good reason to thank my heavenly Father for all of the above!

Love, Shelley

www.allaboutusbooks.com

No comments: