Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Word for the New Year

Camy here.

Every year, I pray and ask God to give me a Word for the year.

A word or phrase that He wants me to keep in mind for the entire year. A word or phrase that will impact and guide my walk with Him, a word or phrase to remind me when I start to stray.

This past year, that word was “fear.” God wanted me to learn to truly fear Him—as God, as Lord Almighty, as Sovereign Lord, as a God who never changes, who has everything under His control.

This was such a great word for me this year. The concept of fearing God, of healthy, reverent respect, applied to so many aspects of my life—discipline, love, faithfulness, patience. It was a nice kick in the pants to remember to revere God, to spur me to obey Him.

I’m not sure yet what the coming year’s word will be. I’m just praying and trying to listen to Him to tell me what He’d like me to work on in my spiritual life.

How about you? Why not pray for a word for this year? Spend some quality time praying to Him, maybe reading a few passages in the Bible. Listen to your heart, listen to the passages you read, and try to hear that still, small voice that will whisper your word to you.

3 comments:

Jenny B. Jones said...

I do the same thing, Camy. I wish I was good about journaling and had kept up with my "words" for the past few years. Happy New Year!

Julie Garmon said...

Nice post, Camy. I guess my word needs to be Trust.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Someone from this blog suggested doing the exact same thing for the beginning of the school year. (May have been you, Camy, but I don't remember)

Anyway, I asked God for a word for my senior year of high school and He gave me the word "faith".

And it's helped me in more ways than I can even begin to describe. I've been dealing with a health condition that I've had for the past decade on and off but it's gotten worse over the past months, yet time and time again, God has been faithful. It's been an incredible year...over and over, I clung to that one word: faith.

I've kept a journal through some of this. I looked back through some of the entries just yesterday and through it, I got to see how God's been at work in my life. I didn't see it before and I don't see it all but I can see bits and pieces of the plan He's working on.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for sharing that...it was a HUGE, HUGE blessing my life.

Debbie