Monday, February 11, 2008

The Show Must Go On


Two weeks ago I awoke, sat up in bed, and immediately began to cough. A deep, painful chest cough. By noon, I felt a little light headed and dizzy, and I knew I was running a fever.

My preference would have been to crawl back in bed, pull the covers over my head, and sleep it off--no matter how long "it" lasted. But that wasn't an option, because the day I woke up coughing happened to be the first day of dance rehearsals for a Broadway Musical Revue I choreographed. I had exactly ten days to work with more than a hundred performers, teaching the steps for seven dance numbers (a few of which were actually medleys, making the song total more like eleven or twelve).

So I'd pop a couple of Tylenol and haul my puny self up to the auditorium for four hours a day. Then I'd come home, collapse on the couch or bed, get up the next day and do it again.

Why am I telling you this? Certainly not so you'll pat me on the back for heroism in the face of hardship. I'm telling you, because I want to brag on the teens who performed in this show. Many of them were also battling the bug, but they came to rehearsals anyway and worked hard to perfect their steps. They listened well and showed me the utmost respect and consideration, making my job so much easier to accomplish. Then they threw their whole selves into performing three shows in one weekend for delighted audiences.

Some people accuse today's teens of being apathetic, self-centered, or lazy. All I can say is those people haven't been around the same teens I know.

Sure, there are teens messing up. But there are plenty more making great choices and applying themselves to develop skills they will enjoy using for the rest of their lives.

Yesterday was the final performance of the show. It was fabulous! I couldn't be more proud of those kids and more thankful for the chance to work with them. We all wake up every morning with choices to make. The eyes of the Lord roam to and fro seeking those whose hearts are perfect toward Him. When He finds a willing heart, He blesses that person with opportunities. With us or without us, God's show will go on. Let's grab our top hats and canes and be a part of it.

No comments: