Thursday, February 14, 2008

Carnations

Camy here, talking about flowers. Carnations in particular.

I think most schools still do this, but you can buy a carnation valentine for a buck and have it sent to someone on Valentine’s Day.

I hate it.

Every year, I’d sit while my classmates got flowers and I got zip. Zilch. Nada. Nothing.

I was such a loser.

Then I got older, got a boyfriend, and finally got flowers for Valentine’s Day. Beautiful, expensive red roses delivered to my workplace. My coworkers were envious, although they all told me, “Just wait until you get married.”

And you know what? They were right.

Because once I married above-mentioned boyfriend, I realized that part of my paycheck paid for those expensive, lovely, expensive, imported, expensive roses. Especially since they’re marked up like 500% on Valentine’s Day.

So I bit the bullet and said, “Honey, you don’t have to buy me flowers for Valentine’s Day.”

He looked shocked. And a little worried that this was a trick questions. “Huh?”

“I don’t need flowers for Valentine’s Day this year.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. They die, anyway.”

“Are yousure?” (He’s well-trained—he remembers to ask twice to make sure I mean what I say.)

“Yes.”

So I got no roses. (Want to know what I got instead? Click here!)

But now that it’s been a few years, I’ve changed a lot from the girl envying the carnations my classmates got. And not just because I don’t want to pay for roses to myself.

God sends me carnations every day. (Yeah, I know it’s a bit cheesy, but stay with me, here.) If He gives me flowers every day, then I start to take them for granted. He’s not like the people who only give flowers on Valentine’s Day and their anniversary. He gives them all the time.

Don’t believe me? How about when you got a better grade on that test than you were anticipating (or deserved)? How about when your parents didn’t punish you as much as you thought they would? How about when your brother was actually nice to you last week?

God is in all the little things. All those small gifts are like carnations He buys for you every day.

I got several of them today. I got up early this morning without problems. I was actually motivated to exercise. My dog didn’t lunge at a couple dogs on our walk (although she did lunge at one that was just lying on its lawn, not bothering anybody—she’s such a butthead). I said “I love you” to my husband this morning. My dog came to me and put her head in my lap (and looked so cute I just had to pet her). I got a lot of work done today.

No, it probably won’t make you feel much better to think about God’s version of carnations in your life when you’re sitting at your desk, valentine-less today. But one day of misery out of 365 isn’t that bad, is it? And those other days when girls sit carnation-less, you’ve got a ton you collected even before you came to school.

Doesn’t make you feel better? That’s okay. Have some chocolate.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

I just came across your blog while reading Jeanne's comment on Scrambled Dregs (very funny I might add!).
This is a great blog for girls! Mine being 8 wouldn't be able to appreciate it yet, but soon...
Great point about the daily carnations - very true. Why hadn't I ever heard of school carnations? I felt so awful yesterday when my daughter came home asking why everyone in class got a carnation on Valentine's day but her! I'd never heard of the ritual and obviously neglected that folder of hers. *sigh*

Jeanette Hanscome said...

Camy,

I totally share your hatred of those high school days of sitting back watching everyone else get flowers and "candy grams." If I ever got one it was from one of my teachers (the dance teacher that I aided for, for example). Other than that--zip. I too was a loser. Worse yet, I was obviously a loser that many teachers felt sorry for.

Well, guess what. We are losers no more! Let's hear for revenge of the nerds!

I would have sent you a flower :).

Hugs,
Jeanette