Sunday, August 22, 2010

"What type of job are you going to pursue?"

When I was twelve years old I had a traumatic experience with my bicycle. I was headed home and on the handle bars I carried two large, heavy sacks. Part of the ride home took me down a long, steep hill. I didn't think anything of it as I headed down ... but soon I found myself flying through the air and landing on the asphalt with a thud. Ouch! I was scraped up all over. What was the culprit of my accident? Books. I'd been to the library and I'd checked out as many as I could carry home. The books had been heavier than me, obviously. I had skinned knees and elbows to prove it.

Looking back, I didn't grow up in a reading home, yet in 6th grade we moved within a few miles of the library. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. I especially liked Little House on the Prairie books and Nancy Drew novels.

Fast-forward twenty-five years, and I'm a multi-published author. My love of books has become my career. I love what I do, mostly because I've loved books for so long. My job is a natural outpouring of who God created me to be.

In your teen years a question you're often asked is, "What type of job are you going to pursue?" Maybe you have an answer. Maybe you have no idea!

My encouragement to you is to think back to what you've always loved. Is it art? Music? Animals? Playing school? Cooking? God has created each of us with unique gifts and talents. We can usually "see" these in our youth. We know what we like without worrying about colleges or "success" in life.

After you take time to consider what you love most, pray about how you can use your God-given talents to impact the world. God places these things inside of you for a reason. He has a plan that will impact people and will bring joy to your heart as you work. Sometimes the best way to discover what those gifts are is to look back and remember what you first loved. What you spent your childhood enjoying is a good indicator of what you'd love spend your life pursuing.

3 comments:

Charissa Steyn said...

Love this simple reminder Tricia! Thank you for the encouragement to pursue what God has placed on my heart. He has made us all so creative in so many ways!

Anonymous said...

Well said!

My parents and other adults are always asking me what I want to do when I'm older, and I can't ever give them a straight-out answer. I haven't felt any calling from God other than to help and talk to people. Because of that, I think I'm probably going to go into counseling and writing of some sort. :)

But I think the important question isn't "what are you going to do when you're older," but "who are you going to serve, and how are you going to serve him."

That's the question that will help save a life. :)

Becca

Julie Garmon said...

Great post, Tricia.